Length of Program
10 Months - September through June
Tuition for 2018-2019
In-District & Out-of-Districts: $7,600
All students must also pay a $1,000 materials fee
Minuteman's Post-Secondary Cosmetology Program is a promising field for people who want to go into business for themselves. It is also a creative field where the work takes place in pleasant surroundings and in close contact with people.
Overall employment of barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 10 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations.
Employment of barbers is projected to grow 10 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. The need for barbers will stem primarily from an increasing population, which will lead to greater demand for basic hair care services.
Employment of hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 10 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for hair coloring, hair straightening, and other advanced hair treatments has risen in recent years, a trend that is expected to continue over the coming decade.
At MTI, cosmetology students earn the 1,000 hours of instruction necessary to qualify to take the state licensing examination for employment as a cosmetologist in the state of Massachusetts.
Students majoring in cosmetology must have controlled finger dexterity and the ability to do precise work. Good human relations skills are also very important.
The cost for the state board certification test is $175.
- Hairstyling / Fingerwaving
- Scalp Treatments
- Hair Shaping
- Facial Care and Makeup
- Permanent Waving
- Salon Management
- Nail Wrapping
- Blow Waving and Thermal Curling
- Advanced Hair Cutting
- European Facials
- Customer Services
- Salon Software
- Hair Coloring / Highlighting
- Foiling / Dimensional Coloring
- Reconstruction Permanents
- Artificial Hair Styling
- Artistry in Hairstyling
- Computerized Consultations
- Hairstyle Selections
- Nail Techniques
- Small Business Management
- Customer Services
- MTI Cosmetology Certificate
- OSHA 10-Hour General Safety Certification
- Eligible for Massachusetts State Board of Cosmetology Operator's License
Possible Career Pathways
- Hair Extension Technician
- Hair Stylist
- Make up Artist
- Platform Artist
- Salon Owner
- Potential to earn $75,000 per year
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median hourly wage for hairdressers and cosmetologists was $11.15 in May 2014 or $23,200 per year.
- According to the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development, the median annual wage in Massachusetts was $28,490 in May 2014.
Employers Hiring Minuteman Graduates
Dellaria Salon , Creative Expressions, Paul Mammola Salon, Blue Salon, Jathar Salon, Ecoli Salon, Wish Salon and Spa, Shear Illusions , Leon and Co., Infinity Beauty Salon