Length of Program
10 Months - September through June
Tuition for 2018-2019
- In-District: $3,600
- Out-of-District: $7,600
- All students must also pay a $500 materials fee
Minuteman's Post-Graduate Culinary Arts program is composed of two areas: an award-winning bakery, and an extremely popular gourmet restaurant. Our focus is to train valued employees. The Culinary Arts program provides entrepreneurial training in all aspects of cooking and baking. Students operate a full-service restaurant and bakery that are open to the public. Students receive training in management, OSHA, ServSafe, sanitation, entrepreneur skills, and related theory. Classroom resources allow students to practice their skills in a real commercial restaurant and bakery. A newly designed computer lab to meet the technology needs of an ever changing food service industry.
Students rotate between the Bakery/Pastry area and the Restaurant unless they choose to major in one area. We are flexible with the scheduling and can make reasonable curriculum accommodations for students if necessary. Some students are capable of completing all competencies in one year, while others may require a longer course of studies.
Students are expected to purchase uniforms before they start the program, and are will complete the OSHA ten hour certificate classes and the 30 hour ServSafe sanitation certification class. The program reviews relevant academic concepts including unit conversions and measurements, how heat energy is transferred by convection, conduction and radiation, and key components of good written communication skills.
Employment of chefs and head cooks is projected to grow 9 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. Population and income growth will result in greater demand for high-quality dishes at a variety of dining venues. As a result, more restaurants and other dining places are expected to open to satisfy consumer desire for dining out.
Employment of bakers is projected to grow 7 percent from 2014 to 2024, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Population and income growth are expected to result in greater demand for specialty baked goods, such as cupcakes, pies, and cakes, from grocery stores, retail bakeries, and restaurants. However, employment of bakers is projected to decline in food manufacturing as these facilities increasingly use automated machines and equipment to mass-produce baked goods.
- Successful Customer Relations
- Preparing and Serving Safe Food
- Preving Accidents and Injuries
- Kitchen Basics
- Foodservice Equipment
- Breakfast Foods and Sandwiches
- Working with People
- Salads and Garnishes
- Business Math
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Controlling Foodservice Costs
- The History of Food Service
- Potatoes and Grains
- The Lodging Industry
- The Art of Service
- Desserts and Baked Goods
- Marketing and Menu
- Purchasing and Inventory Control
- Meat, Poultry, and Seafood
- Standard Accounting Practices
- Stocks, Soups, and Sauces
- Tourism and Retail Industry
- Communicating with Customers
- MTI Culinary Arts / Baking Certificate
- ServSafe Certification
- OSHA 10-Hour General Safety Certification
- Culinary Certification
Possible Career Pathways
- Back of the House Management Trainee
- Baker / Pastry Chef
- Baker's Assistant
- Chef's Assistant
- Executive Chef
- Food Research & Development
- Front of the House Management Trainee
- Institutional Chef
- Line Cook
- Preparation Cook
- Rounds Cook
- Sauté Cook
- Depends on employer / skills: $22,120 - $66,680
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for chefs and head cooks was $41,610 in May 2014 or $20.01 per hour. According to the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development, the median annual wage in Massachusetts was $51,290 for chefs and head cooks in May 2014.
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for bakers was $23,600 in May 2014 or $11.35 per hour. According to the Massachusetts Office of Labor and Workforce Development, the median annual wage in Massachusetts was $26,260 for bakers in May 2014.
Employers Hiring Minuteman Graduates
Sechuan Gardens, Fenway Park, Roch Brothers, Minuteman HS, Café Escadrille, Four Seasons Hotel, Daneil Boulud Bistro, Ken's Dressings, Ritz Carlton, Calarusso's Bakery, Median Hotel, EMC Club, Food Network, Ritz Carlton, Panera Bread, Sally Ann's Bakery, NECI (College), CIA (College)